Thursday, April 26, 2007

Good Morning Starshine, The Earth Says Hello

This morning, I woke up ("woke up" might be overstating things just a bit. It was more of a zombie-like motion of me falling out of bed and directly into my clothes) at 6 am and went to the gym before work. Having sustained only minor injuries last night at rollerderby practice, the workout went surprisingly well.

I don't like to work out in the mornings for a variety of reasons. One is that I can't push myself as hard. For someone who is as sunshiney as I am in the mornings, I seem unable to go faster than a quick trot on the treadmill if it's earlier than 11 in the morning, no matter how loud I play Peaches "Hot Rod" in my eardrums.

But the bigger reason is that I then have to get ready for work at the gym. This necessitates me bringing my entire apartment with me, apparently. I'm a relatively low-maintenance kind of a girl, beauty-wise, so it always shocks me when I'm fighting to shove a pair of 5-inch heels into a cubic centimeter of free space in my gym bag.

After I shower, I confess that I generally roam around the locker room largely naked as I get ready. It's just too hot after working out and with the steam from the showers for me to either leave a towel on or get dressed more than panties and bra. And to be quite honest, I'm not really modest. If you want to look, look. I always look. I know that this is a huge breach of unspoken gym etiquette, but I'm curious. I want to know how I stack up in the "Naked Lady" area of my life. And besides, if I didn't look, I wouldn't see things like the gi-normous pair of bright yellow granny panties I saw on a middle-aged businesswoman this morning. Really, I don't know how she crammed those things into her power suit slacks.

I'm still not sure if the benefits of going to the gym are worth all the efforts of doing so, but I really think that the entertainment factor of seeing size 24 canary-yellow undies and thinking, "I have something to blog about!" shouldn't be undervalued...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't deny it..you asked her where she got them and ran right out and got yourself a pair! And just so yours would be bigger and better, you got a size 26. ;)

Anonymous said...

damn girl, you know you shouldnt talk about me like that! lol

Julie Brooks Barbour said...

Yellow granny panties?!? You crack me up!

Nicole said...

I have my very own pair of bright yellow panties. They are neither of the granny panty persuasion nor are they a size 26 though.

Tiah said...

Very tempted to buy you some yellow granny panties now...

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time I was working out in Salt Lake City and saw a woman get out of the shower with her temple underwear on. Being from Southern California that isn't particularly teeming with Mormons, I had no idea what she was wearing and thought, "Is she that hung up on her body that she is wearing a slip to shower in?" The woman then proceeded to put her dry outdoor clothes over the wet underwear. I was completely aghast until my patient husband explained the situation to me later that night over drinks in a freakishly clean restaurant.