Monday, July 30, 2007

Sometimes "Still Dirty" Takes on a Whole New Meaning

Yesterday, in an attempt to remove what must have been six or seven hundred pounds of stray cat fur and cheerios from my apartment, I got out the old vacuum cleaner.

While it did a fairly passable job on my carpet, I really felt that the vaccuming could be, well, better.

NB: Here's where I turn into my ex-father-in-law, who could be counted upon to liven up any party with a tale of cleaning out his alarm clock. He was a dear, sweet man, and since I'm about to do the same thing to my audience, I can't exactly make fun of him for it.

So I said, "Hey, BabyGirl - wanna see something gross?" and of course, since she's my daughter, she absolutely did.

However, I can't even begin to describe to you the horror of what then transpired. I have only ever emptied the "dust" container - I've never cleaned the filters or the wheels thingy on the bottom. When I went to investigate the latter, I discovered enough hair (HUMAN HAIR) tightly wrapped around that spinny thing that had to be CUT OFF with scissors to make a wig for a small child. Even I was horrified, and it takes a lot to horrify me.

So I cleaned out my vacuum entirely yesterday, discovering layer upon layer of yuck. I just want to know what I've been doing on my carpet for the last year to make it so unbelievably filthy. Or then again, maybe I don't.

No comments: