Monday, June 18, 2007

Dr. Feelgood

Some people think I don't go to the doctor when something ails me because I'm a tough kind of a girl. I'm sorry to have to admit that it's because I have had reaffirmed for me over the years on a regular basis that I am the queen of the vague diagnosis and subsequent vague treatment.

This Saturday, our league decided to do a land workout instead of a skating one on Sunday. We ran, did lunges, squat-walked, skipped, ran backwards, and sprinted. We stretched before and after and I felt fine (even to the point of thinking I hadn't gotten that good of a workout). Then I woke up Sunday with sore legs. I thought, "Okay, so it was tougher than I thought." I started to do chores around my place and, when I'd take more then five steps in a row, I felt like someone was hurling a rusty pickaxe through the heel of my foot.

I was beginning to Doctor Google home treatments when I remembered that I am something of an athlete. This was no time to self-diagnose. Plus, my foot really hurt like a bitch when I walked on it.

I went to an urgent treatment center, where I waited for three hours to be diagnosed with absolutely nothing. I was instructed to load up on ibuprofin and told to ice the foot when it hurt. The doctor seemed so intrigued by the fact that I played roller derby that she seemed mostly unable to comprehend that whatever I had done to my foot had not actually occurred whilst skating. So I'm sitting here with a still-ouchy foot and and an economy-size bottle of generic advil.

This is why I don't go to doctors. The only time I've ever been conclusively diagnosed with anything was when I was pregnant with Baby Girl, and even then, I was certain the doctor was going to tell me, "We're pretty sure you're pregnant, but it really could be a variety of things. Why don't you go on home and take it easy for 8 or 9 months and we'll see if it clears up on its own."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can sooo relate.

I hope your foot starts to feel better soon.

Shaila said...

Hope your foot is better soon!

bettie cracker said...

I hope it feels better soon, Honey. If not, you should really go to your regular doc. One of the injured skaters from Saturday's bout said that she kept thinking she had shin splints and finally went to the doctor to find she had two stress fractures.