Friday, June 1, 2007

Pomp and Circumstance

I head home this weekend for my younger brother's graduation. Due to some late babymaking on Mama Dirty Girl's part, I have a half brother who is 10 years younger than me.

I have been to so many graduations for immediate family members in these last 10 years that it's starting to get silly. of course, the first one I attended 10 years ago was my own, from my tiny high school.

So if I think back to me 10 years ago, I'm mostly amused by what I thought would come next. I'm not sure I ever had a realistic idea of what college was going to be about, but boy, was I ready for something (with my native-american-styled bone choker and froggy backpack in tow).

I know you think I'm getting ready to reflect big on the last decade of my life, but it's just not headed that direction. No, I'm thinking about the heat and the bordeom. I return to the scene of that particular graduation with not so much nostalgia as a more well-developed sense of just how long these things drag on, even with tiny graduating classes...

3 comments:

Shaila said...

I have skipped all graduations this year. No way am I going to sit with 2 kids for HOURS while someone walks across a stage. No thanks! Is little miss going with you?

Chad Barbour said...

Yeah, I had to go our commencement since that's the expectation for us faculty members and the thing went on and on. At least it it was cool (temperature-wise) since it was in the hockey arena. :P

bettie cracker said...

I had one of those necklaces - and a navel piercing. haha Except I already had a year in Europe and a couple years of college under my belt - apparently I wasn't older and wiser.