Wednesday, May 2, 2007

I Can't Decide If This Makes Me Old or Smart or Both

In spite of my recent slate of gay-themed Netflix choices, I also recently got "Meet the Fockers."

Two nights ago, I watched about 45 minutes of it and turned it off. Last night,I briefly contemplated finishing it and thought, "Nah, not interested," and opted instead for a "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" episode I've probably seen 15 times. I sent "Meet the Fockers" back to Netflixland today without having finished it, which is honestly a rare thing for me. There have only been two other times I've not finished a movie I've started. One was "Rushmore" which I rented in 1999 and was too blitzed out of my mind on shots of Southern Comfort to appreciate the snark. The other was "In the Bedroom" which I sat through the first 30 minutes of in the theater and then left because I was so bored I thought I was going to die and I could anticipate every single thing that was about to go down.

But "Meet the Fockers" makes more sense for me to dislike. In fact, I'm not really sure why I put it on my list in the first place. I hate movies where the humor is all based around situations that go from bad to worse. Train-wreck comedies, I guess I could call them. And I don't find anything funny about train-wrecks, even if the train has a name that sounds remarkably like a profanity.

I appreciate juvenile humor, sex humor, fart jokes, and even a good kick in the nuts now and then in my movies. I just can't find the humor in Ben Stiller looking uncomfortable for two hours solid.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't my favorite either but I at least made it through the movie. 40 Year Old Virgin was muuuuucchh better. DH likes that one so we watch it every once in a while.

bettie cracker said...

We have had Snakes on a Plane from Netflix for about 2 months. We keep waiting to get intoxicated enough to watch it, but there is a fine line between intoxicated enough and passed out.

Anonymous said...

i dont know, i liked meet the fockers....not exactly my fav but it made me laugh. 40 yr old virgin sucked in my opinion. lol. guess we all have different taste. maybe we should make a list of our netflix movies to share with each other and compare reviews of the movies. :)